Choosing An Estate Agent
An effective and motivated Estate Agent is an invaluable tool to ensure the sale of your own home.
In choosing an Estate Agent you should consider:-
- Ensure that you ask three or four Agents to view your property. Some less scrupulous Agents will over value your property in the hope of attracting your custom. Ask the Estate Agent to justify their valuation of your property by reference to other properties recently sold. Ask them to tell you what they expect to sell the property for not just what they suggest you market the property at.
- Better still, do your own research as to the likely value of your property. Useful websites include www.mouseprice.co.uk and www.zoopla.co.uk.
- Ask the Estate Agents to tell you their proposed fee. The cheapest is not always the best but compare the fees and be prepared to negotiate. Resist paying more than 1.5% plus VAT – unless there is a very good reason!
- In choosing Estate Agents, create a short list of candidates according to which Agents appears to be “strong” in your area or with your type of property. Ask friends for recommendations.
- We would always recommend an independent Agent over a corporate one as their staff tend to remain based in one local office and know “their” territory well. Please feel welcome to telephone us to discuss this with you.
- Test the prospective Estate Agent’s expertise. What is their best strategy for selling your home?
- Read the Estate Agent’s terms and conditions carefully before signing. Beware any Agent who seeks to impose a lengthy notice period before you are entitled to switch Agents.